If you would like to add curb appeal to your home because you are selling it, or if you just want to do it for yourself, you can start out by installing a new roof and adding some beautiful landscaping to your yard.
New Asphalt Roof to Add Curb Appeal
If you have not replaced your roof in some time, it likely shows it. If this is true, hire a roofing contractor to install a new roof for you. This can not only protect your home from damage, such as if it starts leaking, but will add to the aesthetics of your home. There are many different types of roofing shingles you can choose, including an asphalt shingle roof. If you take a walk around your neighborhood, you will likely see many homes with asphalt shingles. You can find them in various styles, including:
- Strip asphalt roofing shingles: The shingles are single layered. They are placed over a fiberglass base, which makes them resistant to wind damage and tearing.
- Premium asphalt roofing shingles: These shingles mimic natural slate or natural shake.
- Dimensional asphalt shingles are laid in multiple layers, which makes them much thicker.
Your roofing contractor can give you much more information about the different types of asphalt shingles you can choose from.
The cost of installing a new asphalt roof will be approximately $1.700 to $8,400 for a typical home with a gently sloping roof. This does depend on the type of shingles that are used.
Landscaping to Add Curb Appeal
If you have a boring yard, it can take away from the aesthetics of your home. Simply planting a few shrubs and some flowers can make a big difference.
Some shrubs you may want to choose to plant near the foundation of your home include:
- Hydrangea: This shrub has large, looping blooms and a thick foliage. You will usually find this bush with either pink or lavender blooms. If you plant it in highly acidic soil, however, they will bloom a deep blue color. Plant the hydrangea a few feet from your foundation to give it room to spread.
- Azalea: The Azalea bush has purple, red, pink, or white blooms, and grows best in sunny areas. It generally blooms in the spring, and then again in early fall.
- Rhododendron: Plant the Rhododendron bush in front of a tall porch, as they can grow tall. It grows best in partial sun.
Plant a flower garden to add color to your home. Plant either perennials, which come back every year, or annuals, that only bloom for one growing season. Choose colors that blend together. For example, plant purple flowers with yellow or white flowers. There are many combinations you can choose from.
When you finish planting your flowers, purchase some mulch to put around them. Mulch is very beneficial, as it holds in moisture for your flowers. Spread a few inches of moist over the flower garden. When you are finished, push it away from the base of each flower, as you do not want to smother them.
There are many things to consider when designing a flower garden. For example, place the taller flowers in the back and decrease the size to the front. You do not want the taller flowers to block out the smaller ones. Hire a landscaper to come to your home to help you design your flower garden.